Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lent Retrospect

As a far-from-liturgical Christian, the Lenten season (40 days from Ash Wednesday until Easter) was mostly a mystery to me.  I saw it as a quaint ritual practiced by folks in those other Christian streams who did not benefit from the Reformation.  But, I have begun to see the need of more spiritual preparation for Easter than a vague hope that the church musical or pageant would be good and that someone would get me some robin's eggs candy.  The past couple of years I have attempted, with varying degrees of success, to commit to some form of self-denial as a means to focus my attention on the deeper meaning of Easter.

This year in particular, what I perceived as 'giving up' of something I valued proved to result in less time wasted, greater joy, reduced anxiety.  It may become a permanent change.  The hidden benefits of self-denial...

1 comment: