Sunday, July 15, 2012

Holy Rollers


There is much to be said about my early years in church.  Mostly about dear people who poured their lives into mine and I hope to share more of their influence later.  One thing I soon learned was that the Assemblies of God prized one doctrine above all else: Pentecostalism.  Being baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues was considered essential for every believer.  This emphasis was felt keenly during worship services.  The greatest hope of many in attendance was that the Holy Spirit would ‘take over’, much like the glory of God that invaded the ancient temple at the dedication by King Solomon.  

People who observe a Pentecostal service from the ‘outside’ must marvel at the strangeness of it all.  From my position as an insider, at least in the sense of one who accepted it as gospel, it was soul-stirring.  Hymns would be sung vigorously, old standards like ‘Victory in Jesus’ and ‘Power in the Blood’ expressed a hope of both present and eternal redemption.  After the singing reached a fine pitch and emotions were running strong, the congregation would be exhorted to worship -- to audibly speak words of praise and adoration, particularly in a heavenly language -- speaking in tongues.  As the voices of the congregation lifted, so did a sense of expectation.  Slowly, the voices would quiet.  But this was not the end.  In that still moment, there was the opportunity for the Holy Spirit to respond.  Often a member of the congregation would burst out with a message in tongues.  Again, the waiting.  For a message in tongues spoken without interpretation is awkward, at best.  Then, another voice -- this time in English -- translating the message spoken.  God had come to our church again.  He had spoken.  And the sermon had not even been preached yet.

On many occasions, I saw and heard things that were, well, startling.  I was honestly thankful none of my friends from school were there.  Worshippers would weep, fall prostrate, shout, shake, groan, roll on the floor.  Hence the name 'Holy Rollers'.  In America, we think little of people "worshipping" at a sports or music event, but it is considered odd for church.  If there were no God, of course it would make no sense.  But, experiencing the presence of the living God might make you jump, or fall, or shout, or who knows what. 

So, have I ever spoken in tongues?  No, though it wasn't for lack of trying.  Lord knows how many times I was at the alter to be prayed for.  In the years since, I have learned to accept that God gives what is needed to build up the community of faith, not necessarily what an individual or denomination thinks is best.  I still hold a wistful admiration for those so blessed.


Though I have long since left my childhood church, I did experience something similar to speaking in tongues a few years ago in an ancient Anglican church in Wales.  The small choir  of less than a dozen filled the medieval structure with the soaring lyrics of the Kyrie Eleison (Lord, Have Mercy in Greek).  Kyrie Eleison has become a favorite prayer of mine, one that I can pray quietly anytime and any place.  But, I usually do so in English, so I still am not quite speaking in tongues.

No comments:

Post a Comment