Saturday, December 21, 2013

Children, Government, and Business

I received two important notices recently having to do with my children.  The first came via the U.S. postal system.  It was an envelope full of information that boiled down to a threat: prove your children are yours or you won't be able to have them covered by your health insurance.  Apparently this is a new provision of the euphemistically named 'Affordability Care Act'.  I have company insurance and have never had to do more than provide social security numbers and birth-dates.  The new requirement is two forms of proof -- a tax return showing my children as dependents and a copy of their birth certificates.

Contrast this with the cheerful, colorful e-mail from Barnes and Noble announcing that one of my children in the B&N Birthday club was eligible for a free treat in the cafe.  What did I have to provide to get that notice?  Simply a first name and birthdate.  What do I have to do to redeem it?  Simply show up with said birthday club member and coupon in hand.  No other proof required.  Were I inclined, there are any number of ways I could 'game' that system.  But B&N assumes that their customers are generally honest, trustworthy people.  They believe my daughter is my daughter because I say so.

The government is not trying to win my patronage.  They already know they have a monopoly.  Theirs is a raw exercise in power and control.  Underneath it is a presumption that everyone who signs up for health insurance is prone to fraud and the truth needs to be weeded out by this faceless bureaucratic exercise.  The information I collect and send to 'prove' my children are truly mine will do nothing to change the reality of their existence or our relationship.  It is simply a large waste of my time.

Barnes & Noble on the other hand, is doing their best to convince, not coerce, me that a trip to their store will be worth my time, my daughters time and their time -- a mutually beneficial interaction.      And I can't wait to get over there and prove them right.

No comments:

Post a Comment