Thursday, February 20, 2014

DON'T KNOW MUCH

The old Sam Cooke song 'Wonderful World' starts with these three words:
"Don't know much..." 
And as the song unfolds, there is a lot of things he doesn't know much about.  Which just about sums up life.  The more you learn, what you don't know seems to grow exponentially.  But Sam sings of one vital thing he knows about: love.

I managed to squeeze in a few moments for devotional reading this morning and was struck by the importance of 'knowing' the right things.

Jeremiah 9:24 ...let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.


Prayer remains a difficult mystery for me after many years.  I don't know God well, I don't know how to pray well.  But if the pangs in my spirit result in more of what God desires -- love, justice, righteousness -- in my world, I can be content with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment