Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year, New Day

Sitting at the breakfast table looking out the window. The back yard is moist with last night's fog and the top rail of the chain-link fence is adorned with dew-drops along its length. As the sunlight peeks over the hill, simple beads of water are transformed into jewels. Here, a ruby, there an emerald, further on a garnet. A slight movement of eyes or head and the ruby becomes an amethyst, then a sapphire. All that brilliance hidden in the ray of light unleashed millions of miles away to refract into my eyes on this morning. I munch and marvel.

The same light brings warmth and soon the fence is steaming. The dewdrops shrink and are gone, taking their treasure with them, reminding me that I, too, need to move on with my day, one last day of leisure before returning to the routine of work...

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful dad. It really is a poem in prose. Could I steel it from you? :D

    ReplyDelete