Sunday, January 15, 2012

So, What About The Trailer Park?

Let's start with the opening lyrics of the old Johnny Cash song 'Boy Named Sue':
"My Daddy left home when I was three,
He didn't leave much for Ma and me,
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze"
'Boy Named Sue' came out in 1969, several years after the very real family cataclysm that happened when I was about 3.  Mom would hear me singing the tune and comment that we didn't get the guitar...

In any case, one of the big changes resulting from The Divorce in 1962 was that not long after, Mom, myself, and three siblings, ended up in an 8 feet wide by 32 feet long mobile home, or, as we always called it, a trailer.  Oddly enough, to my pre-school eyes, being one of five people packed into 256 square feet of aluminum siding and wood panelling did not seem crowded.  That move, from our somewhat typical 2-bedroom house to the other side of town was the beginning of a decade of trailer park living.  We ended up right across the street from a child-less middle-aged couple whose quiet neighborliness would alter the pattern of our lives in dramatic fashion...

No comments:

Post a Comment