Saturday, February 11, 2012

Accepting Whatever God's Hand Offers

I am reading 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp and found it astounding that I should be coming into the chapter on grace.  What is it?  How do we see it?  I am thinking about our pastor and the miracle of his wife of 20 years now back from the very edge of death after nine days in a dark coma and speaking and smiling and grateful.  Thinking too of another story told me by a good friend of a husband also wed 20 years and dearly loved gripped by an obscure and deadly malady diagnosed too late.  There were prayers and hope and pleas for his recovery as well.  Instead of a miracle, there was a very nice farewell service in that congregation.  And a widow and two near-grown sons behind to wonder at God's grace.  And a third story.  My own.  Wed over thirty years to a faithful (truly full of faith) wife.  Father to five lovely daughters.  Miles of life's highway full of blessing with scarcely the slightest bump of a pothole.  I wonder, can I indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity? Or, to render it more directly to my circumstance, would I, will I accept adversity after wallowing in goodness for so, so long?  Can I trust that all God sends me is His Grace?

No comments:

Post a Comment