Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving Thanks


Thanksgiving Day is less than three hours away.  A 24-pound turkey just went into the oven for its slow roast until tomorrow.  My daughters and their cousins are dancing in the living room to music by The Piano Guys.  My wife and I share tired, knowing looks across the room.  Both of us would rather they and we be in bed.  But this late-night frivolity is a rare treat for our band of happy girls.  So, we give free rein.

To prepare for Thanksgiving, Karen started wending her way through 1000 Gifts at the beginning of November; recording things she is thankful for each day.  It seems a simple thing, but practicing eucharisteo (New Testament Greek for "be grateful, feel thankful, give thanks") by a daily habit of writing down three thanks results in the accumulation of over 1000 gratitudes in a year.  While there are many, many, many things I am thankful for, I have yet to develop the habit of recording small thanks every day.  

Though I may not come up with another 997 before the end of the year, here are three simple gifts I am grateful for today.

Glasses.  At this point in my life, they are on my face most waking hours.  For many years, it was just a work thing - a necessary token of hours in front of a computer screen.  Now, any task requiring rudimentary visual acuity has me bellowing "Where are my glasses?"  So, I am thankful to have them.

Running.  Last November, I injured a ligament in my left hip.  A month ago I was despairing that I would ever be able to run without aching the rest of the day.  But, about that time, a corner was turned.  While I still have an occasional twinge,  I will celebrate this Thanksgiving with no limp and little thought for the hobbling figure I was last year.

Hot beverages.  I rarely start a workday without a proper "cuppa" tea (PG Tips) and feel the loss if my weekend date with Karen does not include a latte.   The warm mug comforts my chilled, bony fingers and nothing clears the morning fog away like a gentle jolt of caffeine.  

It is easy for me to see the flaws of life I encounter in a fallen world and take for granted the innumerable blessings that surround me.  Today, I choose to recognize the gifts of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment