Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Is This All There Is?


As usual, I was the last one in the door of the train.  I made my way around two bicyclists who boarded just ahead of me to an open seat at the other end of the car.  While they situated their bikes, I heard one of the cyclists talking loudly and assumed it was the usual effort to determine who was getting off first so they could decide which bike to park closest to the aisle.  

They sat down near me; a man and woman who appeared to be in their late 20's.  His uncombed long hair and several day beard fit with a wrinkled plaid shirt, shorts, black socks and sneakers.  She was in business casual denim pants with a light-colored blouse and white sweater.

They were arguing about being nearly late for the train.  How much, he wanted to know, did she think they could get done between the time he got up and when the train left? She just wanted to get the car seat out at her mom's house, implying a child is an off-stage player in this drama.  Making no effort to lower his derogatory tone, he declared, "I never said I would do that.  How much time do you think there is between 7:30 and 7:52?"  He accused her of lying about her intentions.  She replied to each volley in subdued tones, embarrassed by their public conflict.  Other than a furtive glance or two, surrounding passengers stayed intently focussed on their own business.  I pictured myself quietly saying, "Can't you treat each other just a little more nicely?"  Then remembered the statistics about domestic disputes and how unwelcome third parties are treated.

The couple made no eye contact with each other.  She finally put on her sunglasses and gazed at the opposite side of the car in silence.  He continued to mutter as the train rumbled to my stop.  Without saying goodbye, he fetched his bike and got off behind me, while she remained on board.

I wondered what frayed emotions churned within as they made their way to separate destinations.  With what grim resolve did they determine not to think whether tomorrow would be any better? Then, I silently offered a prayer that the unhappy years that seemed to stretch in front of them would somehow be altered by the Providential grace that has blessed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment