Saturday, February 2, 2013

Monster In The Closet

What my grandson sees in the coat closet...
It is there, hiding.  The monster.  In the hall closet at Gramma and Grampa's house.  Big and fast and growly and I know it wants to eat me.  One time it almost got me with its bright eyes shining and snarling so loud my ears hurt.  But I got away.  

Now, every time I go over to Gramma and Grampa's, the first thing I do is walk carefully down the hall.  Holding Grampa's hand, I point to the door of the coat closet.  To make sure the monster is locked up.  Because if the monster isn't in the closet, no place in the house is safe for me.  Grampa knows the monster is in there and slowly opens the door.  The monster is scared of Grampa, so it pretends to be asleep.  Grampa pulls on its tail and says "See, nothing to be afraid of."  But, I can't help it.  My tummy knots up, I start breathing faster, faster.  I can't stand it any longer.  Because I know what the monster thinks when its eyes are open: a little boy for supper.  I shiver and run.  Not fast.  My legs are short.  

Then, Grampa closes the door to the monster room and I go play.  For a little while I forget.  But I know the monster is in there.  Sometimes I can hear it breathing.  So, just to be sure, I have Grampa check one more time.  Whew.  The monster is still locked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment