Saturday, September 28, 2013

I Went To Find The Moon

Crescent Moon and Venus - Jim Crotty
http://calmphotos.com
Out the window
the stars shown bright in the still pre-dawn.
The silhouette of the old pine
loomed black against an inky blue sky
and the hill turned gray in lunar light,
clear enough that I knew
a summer moon lurked,
somewhere out of sight.
"Go find it," she whispered.
So, I got up
and went to find the moon.

Stepping onto the patio,
and into the cool freshness,
I caught the faint strains of a cricket chorus.
And there was Moon,
straight overhead,
his full strength only half visible, yet bright indeed,
facing East to greet the dawn.
And following His gaze,
I saw the reason for His radiance.
Lower on the horizon,
fiercely outshining the distance stars,
with her reflected glory,
Venus boldly returned Moon's strong attention.

Slowly, the vanguard of Sunrise
began to lighten the sky,
till each star winked its goodbye,
and only Venus and I were left
to keep Moon company.
Then, the first song-bird trilled
the fanfare of Sunrise.
Realizing my imposition,
I bid Moon and Venus 'good day',
leaving the two companions of the night
a few more moments to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment