Friday, January 17, 2014

DIVERGENT, INSURGENT, ALLEGIANT

Should I or shouldn't I?
It is a hard to take seriously yet another dystopian power girl trilogy, which explains why I keep lapsing into calling the trilogy the 'Detergent' series, a habit I acquired even before I found out that Veronica Roth did. However, a couple of provoking blurbs in Redeemed Reader and World motivated me to give it a try.  That, along with one particularly enthusiastic teenage daughter who has a keen interest in power girl stories.  Plus, the Divergent movie is coming out soon.  *Pause for sound of interest level ratcheting even higher*

We have all three books -- acquired last year, mind you -- and I and daughter (and, apparently most of her friends) have read the first two books (Divergent, Insurgent).  There are thematic similarities with Hunger Games:  Determined Girl in Difficult times develops belief-defying Martial skills while fighting for survival in a chaotic future and at the same time navigating through the emotional maze of romantic entanglements.  The prevalence and market clout of this 'meme' just makes me wonder -- is this simply the escape genre of this generation of girls (I mean, do boys read these?) or does it reflect a deep-rooted expectation for what the future will be like?

Further commentary will have to wait until I have time to read 'Allergic', I mean Allegiant.  I am being nagged daily about it, because I have committed to finishing a grown up book first (The Seven Pillars of Wisdom - T.E. Lawrence).

1 comment:

  1. Well, both of us have finished reading Allegiant now, Dad. :) I guess it's time for that 'further commentary'.

    ReplyDelete