Sunday, January 12, 2014

Thankful for… a Doughnut?

Modern Manna for the famished office worker
It is another New Year and I am recycling my annual commitment to be more thankful for my blessings large or small and to be less disgruntled with, for example, government shutdowns that disrupt family vacations.  (O.K., letting go of that…)

Last Friday, I neglected to set my alarm, so I woke up 20 minutes later than my highly-regimented morning dictates.  Friday is a running day, so I had to weigh the option of cutting my run short versus skipping breakfast, neither of which were very appealing.  But, life is about choices, as I so often remind my children to their deep gratitude.  I chose to run.  In the back of my mind, a faint hope flickered that maybe someone would bring food into the office.  This happens quite often in the December holiday season, but almost never in the post-Christmas reality-check month of January.  So, perhaps it was less a hope than wishful thinking, or even a faintly desperate prayer.

To compensate for missing breakfast, I tossed an extra apple in my backpack on the way out the door.  Still, by midmorning my apple was gone, my ritual 10 o'clock banana was gone, and my stomach was growling.  At precisely my moment of fainting hunger (play dramatic music here), one of my coworkers came around with a nearly empty box of doughnuts.  Apparently someone from the department next to our I.T. group had brought some in for their peeps and there were a few extra.


There are a lot of bad things you can say about the nutritional benefits of doughnuts.  But, to a man fainting with hunger, it was like manna in the wilderness (a wafer that tasted like honey, Exodus 16:31).  That lovely, puffy, round yeast donut sprinkled lightly with cinnamon sugar tasted marvelous, eased my gnawing hunger, and got me through until lunchtime.  So, on the list of things I am thankful for in 2014, I am putting one, fresh cinnamon sugar doughnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment